Monday, January 16, 2012

Cinque Terre, Italy

Sunset in Mararola


MH (My Husband) and I said HELLO to the  Cinque Terre for our honeymoon last Sept, 2011. It's one of the most beautiful places I've visited. We visited all five (Cinque in Italian) towns, and I highly recommend it as a place to vacation to for R&R and a little bit (or a lot) of hiking. And LOTS of eating and drinking, but I'll save that for another blog. 

More importantly, I'd like to let you know about the disaster that hit Cinque Terre on October 25th, 2011. A massive flood hit the towns and several of the residents had to be evacuated and are still unable to return.

I've been following the tragedy and the repair efforts. I've told myself how lucky we were to have visited and experienced such a beautiful place before the flood. The people are generous, the stories behind the towns are enthralling.

Riomaggiore

The views are breathtaking....
Sunset from our balcony in Manarola

Lovers walk from Manarola to Riomaggiore


I recently read an article from Rick Steve about the efforts the community has taken to restore the towns. More than 50 artists gathered in Vernazza to paint the boarded up store fronts.

Take a look at these article when you have a moment. The pictures say volumes - here is a sneak peek at their work (photo credits within the article).

http://www.ricksteves.com/news/cinque-terre/art-reviving-vernazza-slideshow.htm



I'll say goodbye to Cinque Terre for now, but someday we will come back - and hopefully soon.
This is how I'll always remember Vernazza:



Don't wait for "some day" to visit "some where." GO NOW!











1 comment:

  1. Hi Jo,
    We got to go in 2007 and WOW, I agree... a stunning special place on this earth. Thanks for sharing... your photos bring the memories back :)

    Carol B

    ReplyDelete